Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Soulless by Gail Carriger

I just picked up a new series, Amazon actually recommended it to me, about Vampires & Werewolves.  I know it's overdone at this point and it seems like everyone is jumping on the bandwagon, but I've been interested in this type of literature ever since I read Interview With A Vampire by Anne Rice in high school.  The one exception to my fascination with Vampire Literature has been the Twilight Series.  In Stephanie Meyer's work, I have found the something that can make vampire stories uninteresting to me, and that is the complete lack of characterization and the less than adequate plot development.

Soulless by Gail Carriger is the first in a series called, The Parasol Protectorate.  The description that caught my attention on Amazon was this: "SOULLESS is a comedy of manners set in Victorian London: full of werewolves, vampires, dirigibles, and tea-drinking."  Something about this just seemed interesting and I have not yet been disappointed.  I am only five chapters in, but already we've had a rogue vampire death at the hands of our heroine, Alexia Tarabotti, and a look at the Supernatural Politics present in this alternate representation of Victorian England.  There is a definite, what some would call, Steampunk element to the novel that is very intriguing. 

What I have learned, thus far, is that Vampires, Werewolves, and other supernatural creatures are well known in Victorian society.  There is a government agency run by Alpha werewolf, Lord Maccon, that helps to maintain that balance between good taste and lawless abandon.  There is an obvious tension between Lord Maccon and Alexia, but neither one will openly admit to anything more than a severe distaste for the other.  Alexia is not a normal human, she has the unfortunate condition of being soulless.  This means that the supernatural creatures in London do not have any effect on her.  In fact, it's quite the opposite as her touch can restore temporary humanity to whomever is daring enough to come close. 

So far, my favorite quote in the book is one having to do with Lord Maccon.  In this passage (chapter 2, page 36)Alexia's friend, Ivy, is musing on the Scottish Werewolf:

He was so very large and so very gruff that he rather terrified her, but he always behaved correctly in public, and there was a lot to be said for a man who sported such well-tailored jackets - even if he did change into a ferocious beast once a month.
 This is a great example of the tongue-in-cheek dialog and descriptions present in this novel.  I am very anxious to see how this all turns out in the end.  Undoubtedly, Lord Maccon and Alexia will finally succumb to the secret feelings even they don't realize they have for one another.  According to the author's website this is the first in a projected five novel series.  I think this may be a series I will keep on my bookshelf, but it will depend on how it develops.  Check back in with me later this month to see how things are progressing.

No comments:

Post a Comment